It’s no secret that almond milk is a popular dairy alternative. But did you know that it can also be used in recipes that call for cow’s milk? You can even use it in your favorite Mac and Cheese.
Almond milk is a good source of protein and other essential nutrients. It is cholesterol-free and contains low fat. So, it can be a healthy alternative to dairy milk in cooking mac and cheese. The use of almond milk in mac and cheese can make the dish taste sweeter. You may need to add some seasonings to balance the taste.
Difference Between Almond Milk and Cow’s Milk
When it comes to choosing between almond milk and cow’s milk, there are a few things you should know about the two.
Almond milk is made from ground almonds and water, while traditional milk comes from animals. Here are some of the key differences:
The difference between the nutritional value of almond milk and cow’s milk
Almond milk is a dairy-free milk alternative that is made from ground almonds. It contains high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are healthy fats. It also contains vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
On the other hand, regular milk or cow’s milk contains high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol. Almond milk is lower in calories, carbohydrates, and fat. It also has more protein, calcium, and vitamin E than cow’s milk.
The difference between the taste of almond milk and cow’s milk
When it comes to taste, almond milk is sweeter than cow’s milk because of the presence of monounsaturated fats. Almond milk can be used in coffee, smoothies, baking, and cooking as it has a sweeter taste.
LEARN MORE: Can You Cook Frozen Bacon?
Benefits of Using Almond Milk in Mac And Cheese
Mac and cheese is a classic dish that uses milk and is beloved by many. However, some people may not be able to enjoy it because they are lactose intolerant or they do not eat dairy products. For those, almond milk can be a great replacement for dairy milk.
Health Benefits of Almond Milk
Almond milk is also a good source of vitamin D, calcium, and potassium. Additionally, Almond milk has a lower calorie content than cow’s milk, making it a healthier option for those who are looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
The fats in almond milk are healthy fats that can help to improve your cholesterol levels and decrease your risk of heart disease.
Almond Milk Increases Creaminess
Almond milk can also make your mac and cheese richer and creamier than if you were to use cow’s milk.
It also makes the dish sweeter because of the natural sugars found in almond milk. So, if you prefer sweetness in your mac and cheese dish, you can go with almond milk.
Almond Milk Is Ideal for Lactose Intolerants and Vegans
Almond milk is also lactose-free making it a good choice for those who are intolerant to lactose. And if you are a vegan but always avoided traditional mac and cheese then almond milk is the perfect solution for you.
You can have your favorite mac and cheese without using animal protein and compromising the real taste.
LEARN MORE: Can I Freeze Meatloaf? The Ultimate Guide
How to Use Almond Milk in Mac and Cheese
Almond milk can be used as a great substitute for dairy milk in mac and cheese. To use almond milk in mac and cheese, you have to follow some instructions:
- Start by adding half the amount of almond milk, then add more if needed.
- Be sure to use a brand of almond milk that is unsweetened and has no added flavors.
- If almond milk has a sweeter taste, add some salt, pepper, and other seasonings to your liking.
- Add the almond milk to the saucepan before adding the pasta. Almond milk will thicken as it heats up, so you may need to add more of it if you want a creamier sauce.
- Almond milk can make the sauce slightly thinner than using dairy milk, so you can also add less of it if you don’t want a thinner sauce.
- Stirring frequently, cook the pasta until it is done.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add in your favorite cheese sauce recipe or pre-made sauce.
LEARN MORE: Can You Freeze Almond Milk?
Recipe of Mac and Cheese Using Almond Milk
If you are looking for a delicious and creamy mac and cheese recipe that is also vegan, then this one is for you! This recipe uses almond milk to create a rich and cheesy sauce that will have everyone asking for seconds.
- 12 oz of elbow noodles
- ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup of vegan cheddar cheese
- First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, cook the elbow noodles in a pot of boiling water according to package instructions.
- Next, make the cheese sauce by whisking together the almond milk, flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in the vegan cheddar cheese until it is melted.
- After the macaroni is cooked, drain them and add them to a large bowl with the cheese sauce. Mix everything together until it is evenly combined.
- Then, transfer the mac and cheese to an oven-safe dish and bake it for 20-25 minutes
LEARN MORE: Can I Eat Chocolate With Braces?
Alternatives of Almond Milk in Mac and Cheese
There are a few healthy alternatives to almond milk that can be used in Mac and cheese. Soy milk, rice milk, and oat milk are all dairy-free options that can be used as a substitute for almond milk.
These milk are all high in protein and nutrients, which make them a great option for a healthy meal.
Cooking Mac and Cheese Using Soymilk
Soymilk is a great alternative to using dairy milk in your mac and cheese recipe. There are several benefits to using soymilk in your mac and cheese recipe.
Soymilk is a good source of protein and is lower in calories than dairy milk. Soymilk also has no cholesterol and is low in saturated fat.
Cooking Mac and Cheese Using Rice Milk
Rice milk is a lactose-free, vegan milk alternative made from brown rice. It’s relatively low in fat and calories and is often fortified with calcium and vitamin B12.
Rice milk is a great choice for people with food allergies or intolerances to dairy or soy. So, it works well in mac and cheese recipes as a perfect alternative to animal milk.
Cooking Mac and Cheese Using Oat Milk
Oat milk is made from whole oats that are soaked in water, ground, and then strained. It has a creamy texture and a slightly sweet flavor, which makes it a popular choice for those looking for an alternative to dairy milk.
Oat milk can be used in place of animal milk or almond milk in most recipes, including mac and cheese.
LEARN MORE: Can Distilled Water Go Bad? The Ultimate Guide
So there you have it. You can most definitely use almond milk in mac and cheese. There are many benefits to using almond milk as well, such as the fact that it is lower in calories and fat than regular milk.
Not to mention, it is also a great source of calcium and vitamin D.
The next time you are looking for a dairy-free alternative to milk, be sure to give almond milk a try in your mac and cheese recipe. You won’t be disappointed.