Share the post "Can You Bake a Pie in a Toaster Oven? (& How-to-Guide)"
The answer is yes, you can! A toaster oven is a great option for baking pies because it cooks the pie evenly and prevents the crust from getting too brown. Keep in mind to check the size of the pan and bake it in the middle or lower rack of the oven to prevent the crust from burning.
The Pros of Baking Pies in a Toaster Oven
Baking pies in a toaster oven will offer you several pros. Here are a few of them:
Bake Multiple Pies at Once
Since toaster ovens are smaller than regular ovens, you can bake multiple pies at once. This is great if you are baking for a large crowd or if you want to have different flavors of pie.
The Pies Will Cook Evenly
Since toaster ovens have a heating element on the top and bottom, the pies will cook evenly. This is not always the case with regular ovens, which can lead to some pies being overcooked or undercooked.
The Crust Will Be Less Likely to Burn
Since the toaster oven is smaller than a regular oven, the heat will not be as intense. This means that there is less chance to burn the crust.
LEARN MORE: Can You Boil Water in a Toaster Oven?
The Cons of Baking Pies in a Toaster Oven
There is also a con that you need to consider if you want to bake your pies in a while.
Since the toaster oven is smaller than a regular oven, it will take longer to bake the pies. This is something to keep in mind if you are in a hurry.
LEARN MORE: Can You Cook Raw Chicken Breast in a Toaster Oven?
How to Bake a Pie in a Toaster Oven
If you’ve ever wanted to move up from toast and frozen pizzas to baking full-size pies in your toaster oven you will need certain things before such as:
- Pie pan
- Pie crust ingredients
- Pie Filling ingredients
- Oven mitts
- Pie topping ingredients
- Wire cooling rack
Let’s move now to the steps:
Check the Size of Your Oven-safe Pie Pan
Most toaster ovens are too small to accommodate a standard size pie pan. You will need an oven-safe pan that is smaller in diameter, about eight inches.
If you don’t have an oven-safe pie pan, you can use a regular pie pan and place it on top of a baking sheet. This will help to prevent the crust from burning.
Preheat the Toaster Oven
Preheat your toaster oven to the temperature specified in your recipe. This is usually between 375 and 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using a dark pan, you may need to reduce the temperature by 25 degrees.
Place the rack in the middle or lower position so that the crust will be closer to the heating element.
Line Your Pan With the Crust
Ingredients such as shortening, sugar, flour, and water are needed to make a pie crust. Once you have gathered your ingredients, it’s time to line the pan with the crust.
You can use a store-bought crust or make your own. If you are making your crust, roll out the dough on a floured surface and place it in the pan. Trim any excess dough from the edges of the pan and crimp the edges of the dough with a fork.
If you are using a store-bought crust, simply unroll it and place it in the pan. Trim any excess dough from the edges of the pan and crimp the edges of the dough with a fork.
Pour the Filling Into the Crust
Ingredients such as sugar, cornstarch, butter, eggs, and flavoring are needed to make a pie filling. Once you have gathered your ingredients, it’s time to pour the filling into the crust.
If you are using a store-bought filling, simply pour it into the crust. If you are making your filling, mix all of the ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture into the crust.
Most pies will need to bake for about 45 minutes or until the center is set. Check your recipe for specific baking times. Once the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
LEARN MORE: Can You Use Silicone Baking Pans in a Toaster Oven?
Things to Consider Before Baking a Pie in a Toaster Oven
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you start baking pies in your toaster oven:
Bake the Pie on the Middle or Lower Rack
Since the toaster oven is smaller than a regular oven, you will need to bake the pie on the middle or lower rack. This will help to prevent the crust from burning. Because the toaster oven has a very powerful heating element and it can quickly burn food.
If you are baking more than one pie, place them on different racks in the oven. This will help them to cook evenly.
Line the Pan With Foil
To prevent the crust from burning, you will need to line the pan with foil. Cut a piece of foil that is slightly larger than the pie pan and place it over the top of the pan.
Make sure to crimp the edges of the foil so that it doesn’t come loose while baking.
Bake the Pie on a Wire Rack
To prevent the bottom of the pie from burning, you will need to bake it on a wire rack. Place the rack in the toaster oven and then place the pie on top of the rack. This will help to circulate the heat and prevent the bottom of the pie from burning.
Let the Pie Cool
Once the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. This will help to prevent the crust from becoming soggy.
LEARN MORE: Can You Heat Up Coffee in a Toaster Oven?
Some Toaster Oven Pie Recipes
Here are some recipes of pie that you can bake in a toaster oven:
Apple Pie Recipe
- Unbaked pie crusts
- Apples, peeled and sliced
- imp the edges of the dough with a fork. Pour the filling into the crust. In a medium saucepan, mix the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Pour the mixture over the apples. Dot with butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
Blueberry Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line pie dish with one pie crust. Prick several times with a fork. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and sugar until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Beat in eggs and lemon juice. Pour mixture over hot crust.
- Arrange fresh blueberries over top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until berries are bubbly and the filling is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the pie crust on the baking sheet. In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue baking the pie for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack before serving. Serve this delicious pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!
LEARN MORE: Can an Air Fryer Be Replaced With a Toaster Oven?
So, baking pie in a toaster oven is possible by following the step by step by guide mentioned above.
There are some pros and cons of baking pies in a toaster oven which you should keep in mind. And lastly, we have also mentioned some variations of pie that you can try in a toaster oven.