What is the Best Fencing Pliers?
When searching for fencing pliers, it is important to note the cost of the tool, the versatility, the durability, and more. With all factors considered, we decided that the Channellock 85 Fence Tool as our top pick. The Channellock 85 Fence Tool is handy for various projects, sturdy, and has comfortable handle grips.
When working on fencing, there are multiple facets to take care of. As opposed to using a different tool for each facet, a fencing tool can eliminate your need for other tools.
From cutting wires to hammering, placing staples and pulling staples out, fence pliers can be a handy tool to have.
When shopping for fence pliers, you will find yourself faced with different material construction, different grips, different handle comforts and colors, and more. Your choice will ultimately depend on your particular project.
5 Top Fencing Pliers : Our Picks & Recommendations
- Best Overall Fencing Pliers: Channellock 85 Fence Tool
- Best Budget Fencing Pliers: Tekton 34541 Fencing Pliers
- Best for Metal and Wood Posts: Irwin Tools Vise Grip Fencing Pliers
- Best for Hand Tools: Dewalt DWHT70273 Fencing Pliers
- Best Heavy Duty Fencing Pliers: Crescent Heavy Duty Solid Joint Fencing Pliers
5 Best Fencing Pliers Reviews
To find the top fencing pliers, we checked the ratings and reviews of experts and buyers. From the many options we assess, we were able to limit our list to the following five fencing pliers based on their durability, performance, and cost.
Best Overall Fencing Pliers:
What You Will Love: This handy tool has features and capabilities to complete multiple projects.
The Channellock 85 Fence Tool gives you the ability to do various projects with only one tool, saving you space and time. It can function as both a staple starter and staple puller, a wire stretcher, wire splicers and 2 cutters.
The handle has blue grips for extra comfort, and the tool is tough enough to cut through chain link fencing. Users report that this Channellock 85 is a sturdy, reliable, high quality tool.
It has been reported to rust over time and it is in a bit of a high price, so it may be too steep for some budgets.
- Multi functional tool with good grip,
- High quality and versatile uses
- May be a little high for most budgets
- May rust over time
Best Budget Fencing Pliers:
What You Will Love: It is a high quality, versatile hand tool that is very budget friendly.
These Tekton Fencing Pliers are actually seven tools in one. They can be used as a staple starter, staple puller, staple claw, hammer, two wire splicing crimpers, two shear type wire cutters, and gripping jaws.
The fencing tool is made from high strength chrome vanadium steel, and has slim, nonslip handles for extra comfort and better grip. Users state that it is a very sturdy tool that can handle pretty much any job related to fencing.
Priced under $20 usually, this is what I consider the best rated tool. Besides the fact that they are manufactured in China, users do not seem to have a complaint about them.
- Budget friendly
- Seven tools in one
- Chrome vanadium steel
- Slim nonslip handles for comfort and good grip
- Great price
- Can handle fencing jobs with ease
- These pliers are not manufactured in the United States
Best for Metal and Wood Posts:
What You Will Love: This fencing tool is equipped with ProTouch Grips, which give comfort and control to the user while minimizing hand fatigue.
The Irwin Tools Vise Grip is a very useful tool for working on wood and metal posts. The durable, nickel chromium steel construction means that is should last for a long time. It has machined jaws to maximize the gripping strength.
The price is very budget friendly. Most users rave about how useful and durable this tool is. Those that know how to use fence pliers or grew up around them see a couple of flaws.
The handle is not spring loaded like earlier models so you can no longer open them easily with one hand.
Also, while this tool performs very well on smaller projects, some larger projects may require a separate hammer and set of pliers.
- Budget friendly
- ProTouch Grips for comfort and a better grip
- Decreased hand fatigue
- Jaws provide a very tough grip
- Durable and works great on small projects and for some parts of larger projects
- Made with durable materials
- The handles are not spring loaded
- May need additional tools for large projects
Best for Hand Tools:
What You Will Love: These pliers are from well-known brand that people trust and come with a limited lifetime warranty.
This hand tool comes from a brand that makes excellent tools power tools, so it is a little easier to trust. The yellow of the Dewalt color scheme makes the tool easier to see on the ground if you drop it, or just forget where you place it.
It is versatile and tough enough to handle most jobs that you need it for, and the price is easy on the wallet. Some users state that the metal is pretty soft, suggesting that it is not hardened before it is formed into the tool.
Also, some of its features do not perform well while others perform wonderfully. For those features that do not work well, you may have to use an additional tool. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Budget friendly
- From a well-know and trusted brand
- Yellow in the color scheme helps it stand out if you drop it
- Versatile and tough
- Some features do not perform well
- The metal is soft as opposed to being hardened
Best Heavy Duty Fencing Pliers:
The Crescent Heavy Duty Joint Fencing Pliers are designed with a cushioned grip, a corrugated hammer head, two induction-hardened wire cutters, two staple grips, and a wire grip between the tool’s handles.
Buyers report that the tool is great for both cutting wires and removing staples.
However, you will likely need extra tools for bending and hammering as this Crescent tool does not complete those jobs very well.
The metal seems to be softer than some people expected, but most state that it stands up to heavy duty use as it claims to. The price is a bit high- most options on this list are much more budget friendly.
- Cushioned grip
- Very useful as wire cutters and staple puller
- Stands up to heavy duty use
- Higher price than most other options on our list
- You will likely need a separate tool for bending and hammering
- Metal seems to be soft
If you are considering purchasing fencing pliers, be sure to do your research first. Being educated and prepared is an important step in responsible purchases.
The options we listed as the best fencing pliers in this article have high ratings and are a great place to start with your research.
More Tools Related Articles:
- Best Manual Staple Gun Buying Guide
- Best Upholstery Stapler Buying Guide
- Best Coping Saw for Professional
- PVC Pipe Cutter Buying Guide
- Top Inch Pound Torque Wrench Reviews