Want a safe microwave experience to avoid any mishaps? Then you should use the right outlet to plug your microwave in. Safe microwaving should be a top priority. Knowing the requirements of your microwave will help you with safe microwaving. So, can a microwave be plugged into any outlet?
You can plug a microwave in any outlet that supports 20-15 amp and 120 V wattage. If a microwave takes more power than your outlet supports, it will lead to overheating and fire. A dedicated circuit is a safer option as it will provide sufficient power and volts to the microwave.
Before plugging a microwave into an outlet, you must know the electrical requirements of the microwave. We have explained all of it and much more here. So, let’s get started!
Which Outlet is Safe for Plugging Microwaves?
Microwaves draw a large amount of power. They use approximately 1000-1500 watts of power. Regular household outlets are usually safe for plugging microwaves if they can handle such a high power range.
However, it isn’t as simple. The outlet should be able to support the microwave wattage otherwise it can lead to fire or overheating. Moreover, it depends upon different factors such as:
- The wattage of the circuit
- How many appliances operate on it?
- What’s the power range of your microwave?
If you know all these, you will be able to figure out if a certain outlet is suitable for your microwave or not.
Here’s a chart of microwave electrical requirements for a circuit!
|Circuit Breaker||15-20 amps|
|Outlet Type||Individual and Grounded|
Why is a Dedicated Outlet Better for Plugging Microwaves?
If a regular outlet can support a microwave oven as indicated by the wattage given in its manual, you can plug it in. However, it is always better to use a dedicated outlet for the microwave because it holds many benefits. The benefits are explained below!
1. No Risk of Overheating and Fire
Using a microwave oven on an outlet that doesn’t provide sufficient wattage to the microwave leads to overheating and eventually fire.
It is dangerous to plug a microwave into an unsuitable outlet. If you use a circuit that connects to different appliances and the load exceeds the suggested ampere rating of the outlet, it will damage the microwave oven.
A microwave will draw more power than an unsuitable circuit can handle. It will result in short circuits, overheating, and fire.
2. Known Electrical Requirements
A dedicated circuit will have known electrical requirements so the chances of damaging the microwave will be low. It will have a suitable wattage to support the microwave oven.
When you won’t use more than one appliance on an outlet, the outlet will provide the required volts and wattage to the microwave. It is always better for a safer experience.
Now you know whether you can plug the microwave into any outlet or you should use a dedicated switch for it. It is always a better idea to use a dedicated switch to prevent any hazards of overheating and fire. If you use a regular outlet, make sure it can support the microwave wattage.