Turkey bacon is a healthier alternative to pork bacon as it contains lesser fat content. Chopped parts of turkey meat are processed to resemble pork bacon. The chopped turkey meat goes through different stages, including curing and smoking.
While turkey bacon is a healthy alternative, the main question is can you eat turkey bacon raw?
Since turkey bacon is precooked before being smoked and cured, you can consume turkey bacon raw if you want to. Prior to consumption, you can also choose to cook the turkey bacon if you so desire. But consuming it in its raw form is not only acceptable but also safe.
Whether you are planning to make a turkey bacon sandwich or use it in any other dish, this post will give you the right idea of how to consume turkey bacon. Keep reading!
Can You Eat Turkey Bacon Raw?
Few food items do not require cooking or heating and are safe for consumption, even in their raw forms. Some necessarily require heating up and can be eaten directly. Now, the question is can you eat turkey bacon in raw form?
Yes, you can eat turkey bacon raw. Wondering how? Like deli ham, turkey bacon is smoked and pre-formed, resembling real bacon.
Before the turkey bacon is sold in the market, it goes through two processes, making the bacon edible without cooking. All the turkey bacon available in the market goes through these two processes and is considered safe for consumption raw.
But it is advised to check the packaging to know whether the turkey bacon should be eaten raw or not. It’s highly recommended to heat frozen turkey bacon as it does not cater to good taste when all frozen.
Is Turkey Bacon Already Pre Cooked?
Turkey bacon can be considered pre-cooked as it goes through two processes called curing and smoking. It surely looks like real bacon, but it is pre-cooked, making it ideal for eating without any further cooking.
You can either enjoy it as a charcuterie board, add it to your sandwich, or any other dish. Turkey bacon comes in a package with about 12 slices per package.
Can Turkey Bacon Give You Food Poisoning?
Usually, turkey bacon is safe for consumption, but if it has bacteria or does not taste fresh, it can lead to food poisoning. Thus, you must avoid eating bad turkey bacon to avoid stomach aches or food poisoning.
A turkey bacon package is ideal for consumption for up to two weeks in the fridge. If you don’t use the bacon for more than two weeks, you’ll witness grayish and brown patches. In addition, the turkey bacon will get a slimy and sticky texture with a bad smell.
If you notice such a thing happening with the turkey bacon that you have kept in the fridge, you must throw it away immediately. Eating a piece of turkey bacon that is brownish, smells bad, and has a slimy texture will make you sick.
LEARN MORE: Can You Eat Canned Tuna Raw?
Risks and Benefits of Eating Turkey Bacon Raw
Those who are on their weight loss journey are advised to eat turkey bacon as it can fulfill their dietary needs.
Here are some benefits and risks of eating turkey bacon:
- It has fewer calories: You can switch to turkey bacon if you enjoy eating bacon but do not want to consume so many calories. Compared to pork bacon, it has fewer calories in saturated fat. You can eat turkey bacon to regulate your fat intake.
- Good for people who don’t eat pork: Many people avoid eating pork bacon due to religious restrictions. Others avoid eating pork bacon due to intolerance or allergies. For them, turkey bacon seems to be a better option. While turkey and pork bacon do not taste the same, people enjoy eating turkey bacon because it has a smoky, salty, and meaty flavor.
- Easy to cook: Turkey bacon is usually cooked the same way as pork bacon. The usual cooking method includes microwaving, pan-frying, or baking. But the time taken to cook turkey bacon is a lot less than pork bacon. While considering the crispiness, turkey bacon has lower fat, making it less crispy and tastes delicious.
Turkey bacon is a better alternative to pork bacon, but it has certain risks.
- Contains less protein: Turkey bacon has less fat and has less 20% protein than pork bacon.
- High in sodium: Turkey bacon is also high in sodium, enhancing its flavors and preserving the bacon. Additionally, turkey bacon also contains harmful chemical preservatives.
Nutritional Value of Turkey Bacon
Many people enjoy eating raw turkey bacon as it has a smoky, meaty, and smoky flavor, but its taste is not similar to pork bacon. It gets easily cooked and can be added to multiple recipes to enhance the taste. Also, Turkey meat is a safer alternative as it has less fat.
Here’s a breakdown of the nutritional value of turkey bacon.
- Protein 4.8 g
- Calories 60
- Carbohydrates 0.7 g
- Fat 4.2 g
- Fiber 0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Sodium 328 g
LEARN MORE: Can You Eat Mahi Mahi Raw?
The Bottom Line
As you have reached the bottom of this post, we assume you might have gone through all the discussed sections. At last, we are sure that you’ve got the answer to your query “can you eat turkey bacon raw?” with all the supporting answers related.
Yet, if the turkey bacon has turned bad, you must not eat it. If it has grayish patches with a slimy and sticky texture, throw it away.
Turkey bacon is a safer alternative to pork bacon as it has fewer calories. However, you shouldn’t consume turkey bacon on a regular basis, as it has chemical preservatives and high sodium. And, consuming any kind of protein without control can cause problems.