Cooking with a glass top stove is fun but can be messy because they’re fragile. It burns hotter than a regular stove and can easily crack. So, when you ask, can you use a griddle on a glass-top stove? Here’s a quick response.
Yes! You can use a griddle on a glass-top stove. The right cookware for a glass-top stove should be the type that won’t scratch the surface, and a griddle works just fine. However, before you use it, ensure that the griddle is seasoned to prevent it from sticking.
Although using a griddle on the glass-top stove is safe, it is necessary to know the kind to use and how to use it to avoid causing damage. In this article, we’ve answered all your questions about using a griddle on a glass-top stove.
What Kind Of Griddle Can Be Used On A Glass Top Stove?
Using a cast iron, aluminum, or steel griddle is the best type of griddle you can use on a glass-top stove. These griddles fit the glass-top stove perfectly because they retain more heat than other types.
A glass top stove uses radiant heating coils or a gas-filled tungsten filament lamp known as the halogen to provide heat. On the one hand, a ceramic protects the radiant heat coils by insulating them, then help to transfer heat to the cookware you’re using on the glass-top stove. On the other hand, halogen lamps help to regulate the heat for moderate efficiency.
Factors To Consider When Using A Griddle On Your Glass Top Stove
When it comes to heat production, glass top stoves produce more heat than the regular stove. Similarly, it conducts heat poorly, and due to this, you must use it with care. Once any tool scratches the glass top stove or causes it to crack, that’s the end of it being useful.
So, when you want to use a griddle on your glass-top stove, here are factors you should consider to avoid making a wrong choice.
- A metal, iron, steel, or aluminum griddle works best on a glass-top stove. The reason is that it conducts heat well and prevents any possible damage.
- Your griddle should have a temperature regulator to help you regulate the temperature while it’s on the glass-top stove.
- You can also consider getting a griddle with a drain. With this, you can cook and drain the food together.
- The size of the griddle matters too. Using a type larger or smaller than your glass stove top may cause damage. On average, the medium inches for your griddle should be 15.
- Ensure to purchase a non-stick griddle. This non-stick griddle will prevent what you’re cooking in the griddle from sticking inside it.
- Ensure to get a coating spray, olive oil, or groundnut oil to coat the griddle before using it on the glass-top stove. Doing this will prevent sticking. (It doesn’t matter if your griddle is non-stick, ensure to season it with oil or coating spray before usage).
- The handle of your griddle should be heat resistant to prevent hand burn when you want to remove it from the glass stove top.
- Also, ensure that the griddle has a flat surface.
How Do You Use A Griddle On A Glass Stove Top?
Learning how to use the griddle on a glass stove top is one of the challenges people have when using a griddle. Before you use a griddle on your glass-top stove, ensure that it is well-seasoned with cooking spray and olive or vegetable oil. Doing this will prevent your food from sticking or burning.
Using a griddle on a glass stove top isn’t as difficult as it seems. Here are the processes you should follow when using a griddle on a glass stove top.
Step One – Set Up Your Griddle
- Wash your griddle with mild soap and water. Doing this is to ensure that your griddle is clean before usage.
- Wipe off excess water with a paper towel or kitchen napkin.
- Place the griddle on your glass stove top to check if it levels with the top of the stove. Note that your griddle shouldn’t be larger or smaller than the glass stove top.
Step Two – Season The Griddle
- Wipe your griddle with a paper towel or a dry kitchen napkin to remove excess water.
- Coat the inner part of the griddle with cooking spray. If you don’t have a coating spray, use vegetable or olive oil. You can also use butter.
- Place the seasoned griddle on the glass stove top.
Step Three – Heat The Glass Stove Top And Preheat The Griddle
- Turn the heat on the glass stove top to the desired medium you want to cook.
- Allow it to heat for at least three minutes.
- To check if the griddle is hot enough for cooking, splash a little water on it. If the griddle is hot, it will make a sizzling sound.
- Ensure your glass stove top is burning on medium heat to avoid overcooking.
- Before you start to cook, ensure that the drop of water you splashed into the griddle to check if it’s hot is dry.
Step Four – Start To Cook
- It may seem trying when you start cooking, especially if you’re cooking in batches. Consider coating the griddle with oil at intervals to prevent the food from sticking or burning.
- If your griddle smokes while cooking, it shows that it is too hot. Don’t panic! Just reduce the heat on your glass stove.
Can You Use A Cast Iron Griddle On A Glass Top Stove?
Yes! You can use a cast iron griddle on a glass-top stove. A cast iron griddle is universally accepted because it retains heat properly while cooking. It is also durable and easy to use. Asides from cast iron, here are other types you can use.
- Cuisinart non-stick double griddle
- Nordic two-way burner griddle
- All-clad square double-burner griddle
Cooking with a griddle on a glass stove top isn’t unsafe. You can make your pancakes, cheese, sandwiches, and bacon in it. However, to avoid your glass stove top from damage. Ensure that you use a cast iron, metal, or aluminum griddle.