To keep a knife edge sharp over the years, needs a sharpener which is specially suited for the purpose. This is what makes the Chef’s Choice 1520 AngleSelect sharpener one of the most handy and versatile knife sharpeners available in the market.
Whatever the type of knife, Asian, European or American, the Chef’s Choice diamond hone knife sharpener sharpens the edge to perfection. Since the blade is positioned automatically, even an amateur will find it simple to use.
Whatever the type of knife, Asian, European or American, the Chef’s Choice diamond hone knife sharpener sharpens the edge to perfection.
Since the blade is positioned automatically, even an amateur will find it simple to use.
- It is an electric powered three stage sharpener. It can be used for a wide variety of knives such as straight, serrated, single and double beveled knives.
- The sharpener is provided with guides which will automatically position the knife to the correct angle against the abrasive surface. No experience is needed to operate it.
- It is designed to give a razor sharp edge for the 20 degree European/American knives and 15 degrees for Asian style knives.
- It uses a patented flexible stropping/polishing disks to impart a polished edge, which viewed under a microscope, will be smooth and razor sharp.
- It uses 100% diamond abrasives, to sharpen and hone the edge, for unparalled sharpness.
- This chef knife sharpener dimensions are compact and measure 12 x 6.2 x 6.4 inches. It fits practically anywhere.
- The shipping weight of the sharpener is 5 pounds.
- It can be shipped to any part of US plus a few other destinations in other countries. At the time of placing the order, please inquire on the shipping options available.
- It operates on a standard home power outlet and has a simple ‘on-off’ switch. It is provided with stabilizing feet, which keep the sharpener steady even while doing heavy duty grinding..
Description of the Chef’s Choice 1520 diamond hone knife Sharpener
This diamond hone knife sharpener has a unique three stage sharpening process. Each stage increases the sharpness of the blade. A dull blade will need to be put through all three stages, whereas a reasonably good one will have to be put only through stage 2 and 3.
Stage 1: The blade is given its initial sharpness by using diamond abrasive coatings. This stage should be used for blades that are completely dull or for knives which have not been used for a long time.
Stage 2: This stage uses finer diamond abrasives which sharpen the blade further. Most knives, of everyday use, may need only to be started from this stage onwards.
Stage 3: This is the stage at which the final polishing of the blade edge is done. It uses a patented stropping disk which is flexible. This creates a microscopic ‘Gothic Arch’ edge. This arch shape imparts incredible sharpness and durability to the knife edge.
The Chef’s Choice 1520 AngleSelect diamond hone knife sharpener does not need any previous experience in knife sharpening. Start the sharpener, put it in the appropriate slot and pull it towards you with an even movement. Proceed to the next stage.
In less than two minutes, you will have a fully sharpened knife which looks like it has just stepped out of the factory.
The secret to a blade’s sharpness is the correct angle of grinding and this the machine does for you. You can set the angle you require. The guides hold the blade automatically at the correct angle during sharpening which imparts maximum sharpness.
This sharpener is flexible to sharpen the blade at 15/20 degree angles, single bevel or double bevel and also accept blades of various thickness and lengths.
Traditional Japanese style knives used for slicing thin and perfect pieces of vegetables and meat can be sharpened to their original state. Most sharpeners available in the market cannot impart a good sharp edge to serrated knives, but to the Chef’s choice, a serrated knife is just a breeze. The serrated edge will come out razor sharp.
The Practical Test
I tried out the Chef’s Choice 1520 sharpener on my collection of knives. I tried the discarded chopper, which I found in my tool shed, first. Though it had a thick blade there was no problem. I put it in the first stage and pulled it evenly towards my body.
The slight resistance I felt was the sharpening process at work. I then put the chopper into the second stage and repeated the process. The blade now looked pretty sharp.
After the third stage the edge looked really sharp and I tried it out on a piece of lamb bone. A chop with minimum force and bone parted neatly. I was impressed. The next knife I tried was the one my wife usually used and it was sharp.
I put it into the third stage only and it came out a whole lot sharper than what it was. The Chef’s Choice 1520 sharpener certainly delivered on its promise.
Almost all the customers who purchased this sharpener from Amazon gave positive feedbacks.
See what a few customers had to say. These customers have been certified as ‘Amazon Verified Purchase’, which means that Amazon has verified that they purchased the product from Amazon:
- Wilbur C. Andrews “Wil” said “I have been sharpening knives for more than 60 years. I require my knives to be sharp enough to shave my arm. This sharpener has done that with every knife I own.”.
- John W. Laughrige “Lokrige” (Bowie, MD) said “If you require knives that require the 15 degree angle, this sharpener is for you. It gets blades extremely sharp. It is easy to get the hang of sharpening and blades are razor sharp in seconds.”
Viewed from all angles, the Chef’s Choice 1520 diamond hone knife sharpener has clearly come out as a winner. This user-friendly machine, with lots of innovative features, gives a new meaning to the definition of sharp. It is certainly well worth the money spent and a recommended buy.