Let me draw you a scenario that will be relatable to you: you made angel food cake and served it to your family and friends as dessert. It was delicious but there were leftovers because everyone couldn’t eat much after dinner. Or, you have made a large angel food cake and the three members of your family couldn’t finish it.
You can store the leftover angel food cake in the refrigerator or freezer. Angel food cakes can stay good in the refrigerator for two to three days, and in the freezer, they can last for two to three months.
Process of Freezing Angel Food Cake
In order to freeze angel food cake, there are a few steps that need to be followed.
- First, the cake needs to be cooled completely.
- Once it is cooled, cut the cakes into small pieces so that they can fit in the container.
- It can then be wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It is important to make sure that the cake is tightly wrapped so that no air can get in.
- Once the cake is wrapped, it can then be placed in a freezer bag. Again, it is important to make sure that the bag is sealed tightly so that no air can get in.
- It is best to use a freezer bag that is made specifically for freezing food. These bags are thicker and will help to prevent the cake from getting the freezer burned.
- If you are planning on freezing the cake for a longer period of time, it is best to double wrap it. This means wrapping it in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, or vice versa.
- It is also a good idea to label the cake with the date that it was frozen. This will help you keep track of how long it has been in the freezer.
- If you are freezing the freshly baked cake, do it without the icing or frosting. It will last longer if it does not have any icing.
LEARN MORE: Can You Freeze Ricotta Cheese?
How Long to Freeze Angel Food Cake in the Refrigerator
When you freeze Angel Food Cake, you should do so in the refrigerator. It will stay good in the refrigerator for two to three months. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
The store-bought cakes are made in the way to store them in the fridge for a long time. You should eat the store-bought cakes within 6 months after freezing.
The reason you should freeze angel food cake in the refrigerator is that it will help to keep the cake moist. If you were to freeze the cake in the freezer, it would dry out.
If you keep the angel cake longer in the refrigerator or freezer, it will still be edible, but it might not taste as fresh. It is not recommended to keep the cake frozen for a long time as it might start to lose its flavor.
LEARN MORE: Can I Freeze Cream Cheese Frosting?
How to Thaw Frozen Angel Food Cake
When it comes to eating the frozen angel food cake, you first need to thaw it. There are a few ways to thaw the frozen angel food cake. One way is to thaw it in the refrigerator. This will generally take about 24 hours.
You can also thaw it by using warm water. Place the cake in a zip-lock bag and submerge it in warm water. This method will take about 30 minutes.
If you’ve got a craving for angel food cake but don’t want to wait for it to thaw naturally, there’s a way to speed up the process. Angel food cake can be thawed, and it’s actually pretty simple to do. Here’s how:
First, remove the cake from the freezer and place it on the counter. Then, using a serrated knife, score the top of the cake in about six places. Be careful not to cut too deeply – you just want to make shallow cuts at the top of the cake.
Next, place the cake on a plate or in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Make sure the wrap is tight against the cake so that no air can get in.
Then, microwave the cake on high for 30 seconds. Check to see if the cake is thawed – if it’s not, microwave it in 15-second increments until it is. Once the cake is thawed, you can serve it as usual.
LEARN MORE: Can You Put Jello Shots in The Freezer?
Angel food cake can be frozen, but it takes a little bit of preparation. If the food cake is refrigerated properly, it can last in the freezer for up to two months. Angel food cake can be thawed in a number of ways, but the best way is to let it sit out at room temperature until it’s soft enough to eat.
When you’re ready to eat the cake, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Angel food cake is best eaten within a few days of thawing.
There are other ways to store angel food cake, but freezing is one of the most effective methods.