Burritos are a classic Mexican dish that can be made in so many different ways. Microwaving a frozen burrito is an easy and convenient way to enjoy it.
This is a great option when you’re short on time or don’t feel like cooking. It’s also a great way to save money since frozen burritos are often cheaper than eating out.
The common challenge that people face is that they don’t know how to cook a frozen burrito in the microwave. They also don’t know what time and temperature to use, so their burrito doesn’t turn out well.
Today, we’re going to show you how to cook a frozen burrito in the microwave. In just a few minutes, your burrito will be hot and ready to eat!
However, not all microwaves are created equal. Depending on the power of your microwave, you may need to adjust the cooking time and temperature.
What Is a Burrito? A Mexican Classic
A burrito is a Mexican dish that is wrapped in a tortilla. The tortilla can be filled with a variety of ingredients, such as meat, cheese, rice, and beans. Burritos can be either fried or baked.
The origins of the burrito are unknown, but it is believed to have originated in northern Mexico. The first burrito was made in the early 1900s, and the dish became popular after World War II.
As for frozen burritos, they have been around since 1977 when Microwavable Burritos were introduced by Ohioan entrepreneur Larry L. Miller.
At present, there are all sorts of frozen burrito brands and flavors to choose from. You can buy them at most convenience stores or grocery stores.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook A Microwave Dinner In The Oven
Cooking Method of Frozen Burrito in the Microwave
As you may already know, microwaving is a convenient way to cook food without using an oven or stove.
Microwaves use radiation to heat up food, and this method of cooking is especially useful for frozen burritos. By following a few simple steps, you can have a delicious and hot burrito in minutes.
The ingredients you will need to cook a frozen burrito in the microwave are:
- 1 frozen burrito
- Microwaving safe bowl or plate
Place the frozen burrito in the microwave: Place it in the microwave in a dish that is allowed for microwaving. You can also use an extra bowl to put some water in it which will help the burritos to steam.
The amount of time you need to microwave it will depend on the size and thickness of the burrito.
Microwave on medium power for 2 minutes or so: Microwave the burrito at medium power for about 2 minutes. This will make it hot enough to eat, but not too hot that you can’t handle it.
You can check if it is done or not. If it is not ready according to your preference then you can keep it for 30 seconds more in the microwave.
Remove from the microwave and let cool for 1 minute: Once the burrito has finished cooking, take it out of the microwave and let it cool for one minute. This will give you time to prepare your toppings if needed before eating.
LEARN MORE: How To Steam A Hot Dog Bun In The Microwave?
Time and Temperature in the Microwave for Reheating Frozen Burritos
If you are reheating straight from the freezer, microwave for 35-40 minutes at 400 degrees. You may cover with a paper towel and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, flipping halfway through.
If you are so hungry that you can not resist and you have only a burrito in your freezer then this is for you. Heat the wrapped burrito on a platter in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
LEARN MORE: How To Melt Mozzarella Cheese In The Microwave?
Tips for Cooking Burritos in the Microwave
For microwaving a frozen burrito, use the following microwave tips:
- Before placing it on a microwave-safe dish, remove the aluminum foil that was used during the freezing procedure. They can react when put in a microwave.
- To speed up the reheating process, thaw in the fridge or microwave first.
- Set the microwave to defrost mode and thaw the frozen burrito in the microwave.
- It is safe to reheat on high full power after thawing if needed.
- For an accurate reading of the interior temperature, an instant thermometer is required.
- To ensure that the burrito is evenly heated on both sides, flip it at one-minute intervals. At this point, a sprinkling of water or a damp paper towel is required to keep the reheated tortilla moist.
- Reheat until the internal temperature reaches 74°C (165°F).
- If the burrito becomes too soggy during the reheating process, open it up on both sides of the paper towel and microwave it to dry it somewhat.
LEARN MORE: How To Roast Garlic In The Microwave?
Benefits of Microwaving Frozen Burritos
Thinking about whether you should microwave your frozen burritos or not? Then look no further. The following reasons will help you to decide.
- Microwave is good for cooking burritos because you can cook the burrito without burning it.
- You should microwave frozen burritos because microwaves work fast on frozen foods and heat will go through the whole food better than other ways of heating them up, like in an oven or on a pot.
- Microwaves are fast and easy to use, it saves time for busy people who love to eat burritos and don’t have much time to cook them using the stove or an oven.
- Microwaving frozen burritos will also not reduce their nutrients and they don’t have any threats of radiation.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Bacon In The Microwave
Microwaving frozen burritos is a quick and easy way to enjoy this Mexican favorite. By following the simple tips and tricks in this article, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal in minutes.
So next time you’re short on time or just don’t feel like cooking, give microwaved frozen burritos a try! You won’t be disappointed.
Now that you know how to cook frozen burritos in the microwave, what are you waiting for? Get started on this easy and convenient meal today!