You are in a sushi restaurant, enjoying your sushi, but feeling a sense of incompletion. You are unsure why you feel that way.
Well, that may be because you are in need of a very good side dish, dessert, or a beverage to compliment your sushi.
What goes well with sushi? When deciding on a side with sushi, there are numerous options to choose from. Different types of sides, such as wasabi paste, miso soup, matcha ice cream, green tea, seaweed salad, snacks, etc., are all great options as a side for sushi.
If you’re looking for something to complement your sushi, we’ve got you covered. From salads to soups to desserts to drinks, we’ll show you what goes well with sushi. So whether you’re eating in or taking out, you’ll know what to order!
How to Choose the Side Dishes of Sushi?
When it comes to sushi, there are endless possibilities for what goes well with it. What you decide to order as your side dish will largely depend on the type of sushi you’re eating.
For example, if you’re eating a California roll, then ordering a salad would be a great option.
But if you’re indulging in some nigiri, then a soup would be a better pairing. And lastly, if you’re enjoying some maki rolls, then a dessert would be the perfect finishing touch!
Choosing a Type of Side
To be able to decide on a side that goes good with sushi, first, you need to decide what type of side you want. The types of sides are:
- Dishes and Snacks
LEARN MORE: What Is Tekka Sushi?
Sides That Goes Good With Sushi
Let’s have a look at the sides that go good with sushi categorized under their types:
- Pastes: Various types of pastes are usually served alongside sushi in restaurants. Some of the common pastes that goes good with sushi are wasabi paste, karashi(Japanese mustard), and ginger paste.
- Sauces: There are many sauces that goes well with sushi. Some of the popular sauces are teriyaki sauce, chili sauce, tamari sauce, nikiri, yum yum sauce, shoyu( soy sauce), eel sauce, tonkatsu sauce, coconut liquid aminos, kewpie, fish sauce, ponzu, sweet and sour sauce, etc.
- Others: Other condiments that goes good with sushi include horseradish, pickled ginger, tsukemono of daikon, eggplant, cucumber, and crispy fried onions.
- Miso Soup: This is a Japanese soup made with miso paste and dashi. All of the delicious umami elements in this soup will go great with any milder-tasting sushi, and it may even be used as a dipping sauce instead of soy sauce.
- Seaweed Soup: This type of soup is also known as miyeok-guk, and it is made with seaweed, beef, vegetables, and anchovy broth which also compliments very well with sushi.
- Suimono Soup: This soup is similar to miso soup and is usually made with vegetables and meat. It also goes good with sushi.
- Seaweed Salad: As the name suggests, this salad is made with seaweed and other ingredients such as vinegar, sugar, salt, sesame seeds, etc. It goes great with sushi because of its crispy texture and slightly sweet taste.
- Kaiso Salad: This is a type of seaweed salad that is made with wakame seaweed. It has a very mild taste and a soft texture, making it a perfect side for sushi.
- Ohitashi: This is a type of spinach and herb salad that is served cold. It has a light flavor and goes great with sushi.
- Wakame Salad: This salad is made with dried seaweed, vinegar, sugar, salt, sesame oil, etc., and it gives a nice crunch to your sushi meal.
- Kani Salad: This is a salad made with imitation crab meat, mayonnaise, and vegetables. It has a strong flavor that can stand up to more intense sushi flavors.
- Tako Su: This is a type of octopus salad that is made with vinegar, sugar, salt, and other seasonings. It has a slightly sweet and sour flavor that goes great with sushi.
Dishes and Snacks
- Tempura: This is a Japanese dish that is made with battered and deep-fried seafood or vegetables. It goes great with sushi because it has a light and crispy texture.
- Gyoza: These are Japanese dumplings that are made with pork, vegetables, and a wrapper. They can be boiled, steamed, or fried, and they go great with sushi because of their savory flavor.
- Tamagoyaki: This is a Japanese omelet that is made with eggs, soy sauce, and sugar. It has a sweet and savory flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Karage: This is a type of Japanese chicken nugget that is battered and deep-fried. It has a crispy texture and a savory flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Chawanmushi: This is a Japanese egg custard dish that is made with eggs, chicken broth, and vegetables. It has a smooth texture and a savory flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Kushiyaki: This is a type of Japanese skewered meat or vegetables. It has a savory flavor and a slightly charred texture that goes great with sushi.
- Crab Rangoon: This is an Americanized Chinese dish that is made with imitation crab meat, cream cheese, and scallions. It has a creamy and savory flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Edamame: Edamame pods are a pod of immature soybeans. They can be consumed raw or cooked, with the most prominent flavors being slightly sweet and juicy. They are served as a palate cleanser alongside sushi.
- Fruit: Fresh fruit is always a great way to cleanse your palate after eating sushi. Some of the fruits that go well with sushi include apples, oranges, grapefruit, pineapples, mangoes, papayas, etc.
- Green Tea Ice Cream: This is a type of ice cream that is made with green tea and milk. It has a sweet and slightly bitter flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Mochi: This is a Japanese rice cake that is made with mochigome rice. It has a chewy texture and can be flavored with fruit, chocolate, or other sweet ingredients. It goes great with sushi because of its sweetness and light texture.
- Matcha Ice Cream: This is a type of ice cream that is made with matcha powder. It has a sweet and slightly bitter flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Dango: This is a type of Japanese dumpling that is made with mochiko flour, sugar, and water. It has a chewy texture and a sweet flavor that goes great with sushi.
- Green Tea: Green tea is a popular beverage in Japan that goes well with sushi. It has a light and refreshing flavor that helps to cleanse your palate after eating sushi.
- Sake: This is a Japanese rice wine that has a sweet and fruity flavor. It goes great with sushi because it pairs well with the flavors in the food.
- Beer: This is another type of drink that goes great with sushi. It has a light and refreshing flavor that helps to cut through the richness of the sushi.
LEARN MORE: What Is in a Crazy Roll Sushi?
Conclusion: What Goes Good With Sushi?
After learning about so many types of sides that go well with sushi, you will never again feel that incompletion that you felt after having sushi.
There are many different types of dishes and snacks that go great with sushi. From tempura to gyoza, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
And don’t forget about the desserts! Fruit and green tea ice cream are always a delicious way to end your meal.
Try out some options, and find out which one is your favorite!