Cool cucumber juice keeps you hydrated and protected against diseases
Cucumber juice is refreshing and cooling, particularly in summer. It has minimal calories, but thanks to its high nutritive values, it is much better than having just water or even low calorie beverages.
The cucumber belongs to the same family as melon, squash and gourd and like them it is about 95 percent water.
The vegetable originated in India and from there it spread to the rest of the world in ancient times. It now grows virtually everywhere and is relished in various forms including raw, salads, curries and pickles.
Gherkins that are usually pickled and served as a relish are also made from a kind of cucumber, called pickling cucumbers. Most cucumbers come with edible seeds, but some varieties are also seedless.
Did you know that cucumber has many health benefits?
Cucumbers are very mild in taste and flavor. They are also loaded with nutrition and are valuable in many disorders including
- Cancer – cucumbers contain lignans like lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol that reduce the risk of breast, uterine, ovarian and prostate cancers.
- Bad breath – this vegetable is helpful in teeth and gum disorders that result in bad breath so consuming cucumbers is helpful in combating bad breath. It also contains phytochemicals that inhibit bad breath.
- Hangover – electrolytes and other nutrients in cucumber reduce the intensity and duration of headaches and hangovers.
- Diabetes – a hormone that is present in cucumbers helps the pancreas produce insulin that is especially vital of diabetes and so helps in better diabetes management.
- Blood pressure – magnesium and potassium in cucumber juice is useful in maintaining blood pressure and is effective in both hyper and hypotension.
- Cholesterol – cucumbers contain sterols, useful in reducing cholesterol levels in the body.
- Inflammation – high levels of antioxidants counteract inflammation that is a contributory factor in many inflammatory conditions including arthritis and heart disease.
- Digestion – cucumber juice is particularly useful in counteracting against heartburn, hyperacidity, gastritis and stomach ulcers. It also aids in digestion and reduces constipation.
- Skin – many skin products use cucumber as an ingredient for its cooling properties, but when you have cucumber juice it has a positive effect on the skin and nails as well.
Cucumbers have a lot of nutrition
Cucumbers provide a great deal of bang for your buck as they are full of vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals like apigenin, luteolin, quercetin, and kaempferol apart from other nutrients like
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- B vitamins
Cucumber juice recipes
Cucumbers can easily be blended to make a juice since they have very soft seeds that are full of nutrition as well. They can also be juiced in any kind of juicer. While you can have cucumber juice singly, it pairs well with many other vegetables and fruits for better taste and nutrition.
Green cucumber juice
- 2 medium sized cucumbers
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½” piece ginger
- Juice of half a lemon
Related reading: Vegetable Juice Recipes
Cucumber and fruit juice
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 oranges
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
Cucumber juice is hydrating and cooling – it is a great way to ensure that you replenish the nutrients that your body needs to stay healthy..