There is a lot of debate surrounding the use of olive oil for cooking chicken. Some people swear by it, while others think that it is not the best option.
Can you use olive oil to cook chicken? You can use olive oil to cook chicken but there are pros and cons. On one hand, olive oil is a good option if you are looking to cook chicken on the stovetop or microwave.
However, olive oil has a low smoke point, which means that it can start smoking at a low temperature.
Ways To Cook Chicken In Olive Oil
- Use olive oil to cook chicken on the stovetop. Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the chicken breasts or pieces to the pan and cook for about four minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Bake chicken in olive oil. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and brush them with olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Grill chicken in olive oil. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and brush the grates with olive oil. Add the chicken breasts or pieces to the grill and cook for about four minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Use olive oil to marinate the chicken. Place chicken breasts or pieces in a large resealable bag and pour in olive oil. Add your favorite seasonings, like garlic, salt, pepper, etc., then seal the bag and massage the ingredients together. Let the chicken sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 12 hours so that it can absorb the flavors.
- Use olive oil to make a chicken salad. In a large bowl, mix together cooked and shredded chicken, diced celery, diced red onion, and your favorite dressing (like olive oil mayo). Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Use olive oil to make a chicken stir-fry. In a large wok or frying pan, heat up some olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about four minutes per side, or until cooked through. Then add your favorite vegetables and continue cooking until everything is tender. Serve with rice or noodles. But keep in mind to use refined olive oil here and not extra virgin olive oil.
LEARN MORE: How To Make Infused Olive Oil Last Longer?
Why Do Some People Prefer Cooking Chicken With Olive Oil?
There are a few reasons why some people prefer to cook with olive oil;
First of all, olive oil is a healthy cooking option packed with nutritions and flavors. It is also a good source of monounsaturated fats, which can help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Second of all, olive oil has a mild flavor that goes well with chicken. It will not overpower the taste of your dish and will add a subtle flavor that everyone will love.
Finally, olive oil is a good option for people who are looking to cook chicken on the stovetop or in the microwave. It is a versatile cooking oil that can be used for a variety of dishes.
LEARN MORE: Can You Mix Peanut Oil and Canola Oil?
Use Of Olive Oil To Cook Chicken
Yes, olive oil can be used to cook chicken. In fact, it’s a healthy and delicious way to prepare this protein-rich food.
It also has a mild flavor that won’t overwhelm the flavor of your chicken dish. Cooking chicken in olive oil helps to improve the texture and taste of the dish. The chicken will be tender and have a delicate flavor that pairs well with a variety of spices.
LEARN MORE: Can You Use Peanut Oil in a Deep Fryer?
Use Of Olive Oil To Fry Chicken
Olive oil is a healthy option for frying chicken. The olive oil will help to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan, and it will add a delicious flavor to the finished dish.
However, be sure to use a high smoke point olive oil for frying, like refined olive oil, as low smoke point olive oils such as extra virgin olive oil will start to burn early and give out toxins.
In addition, extra virgin olive oil is not recommended use for deep frying and frying jobs. But it is totally ok to use other types mainly refined olive oil. Now, that doesn’t mean you can’t use extra virgin olive oil for cooking chicken.
You can absolutely use extra virgin olive oil for cooking where there is low heat involved such as baking, grilling, etc.
LEARN MORE: Best Balsamic Vinegar To Buy
Reasons To Cook Chicken Using Olive Oil
- Using olive oil to cook chicken is a healthy way to prepare this protein-rich food. Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants, which can help improve heart health and protect against cancer.
- Olive oil can make chicken skin crispy and flavorful.
- Cooking chicken with olive oil can help increase the absorption of beneficial nutrients.
- Olive oil has a mild flavor that will not overpower the taste of your chicken dish.
- Cooking chicken with olive oil can help improve the texture and flavor of your dish. The chicken will be moist and have a delicate flavor that pairs well with many different seasonings.
Reasons to Not Cook Chicken Using Olive Oil
- The main disadvantage of cooking chicken with olive oil is that it has a low smoke point. This means that the olive oil can start smoking at a low temperature, which is not ideal for stovetop cooking.
- Another downside to cooking with olive oil is that it can be expensive. Olive oil is a premium cooking oil and can be more expensive than other options like vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Cooking chicken with olive oil may not be the best option if you are looking to cook chicken in a hurry. It can take longer for olive oil to heat up than some of the other cooking oils available in the market.
LEARN MORE: Can I Use Sesame Oil Instead of Olive Oil?
What Are Some Things To Keep In Mind?
When cooking chicken with olive oil, be sure to use good quality olive oil. The flavor of the dish will depend on the type of olive oil you use.
Also, keep in mind that olive oil has a lower smoke point than some of the other cooking oils available. This means that it can start to burn at a lower temperature, so be careful not to heat it up too high when cooking chicken.
Finally, remember that olive oil is best used for dishes where the flavor of the olive oil will be complementary to the dish. So, try using olive oil for chicken dishes with Mediterranean flavors, or with a light coating of herbs and spices
So next time you’re looking for a healthy and delicious way to prepare your chicken, give olive oil a try. And remember, when cooking with olive oil, always use refined olive oil rather than extra virgin olive oil, and be careful not to heat it up too high.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to create a delicious chicken dish that everyone will love.