One of my friends recently had her teeth straightened with braces. And she is a huge sushi fan, and she has been upset the entire time, wondering what will happen if she can’t have sushi anymore.
Braces can be a hassle to deal with, but that doesn’t mean you have to avoid all your favorite foods just because you are wearing braces.
Can you have sushi with braces? The answer is yes! You can have sushi with braces because it is soft and easy to chew. There are several different types of sushi that can be eaten with braces.
Sushi can be a great option for people with braces, as long as you know which types of sushi to eat and how to eat it. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about eating sushi with braces!
Having Sushi With Braces: Why Is It Important to Know?
People wearing braces have a really tough time eating any food. The main reason is that the brackets and wires can get in the way, making it difficult to chew and bite properly.
Along with that, it can be painful to eat when wearing braces because the brackets can rub against your gums and cheeks. This can cause soreness and irritation.
Eating sushi with braces is possible, but you need to be careful about what type of sushi you eat and how you eat it. There are certain types of sushi that are easier to eat with braces than others.
For example, sushi rolls are a great option because they can be cut into smaller pieces. This makes them easier to eat and less likely to get stuck in your braces.
Sushi consists of soft, sticky rice, vegetables, fish, etc. All these ingredients can get stuck in your braces and be hard to remove.
So, it is important to choose the right type of sushi and eat it carefully in the correct way.
The ingredients in sushi can make eating sushi a bit tricky because of the delicate nature of the rice and fish.
Sushi can be a great option for people with braces, as long as you know which types of sushi to eat and how to eat them.
LEARN MORE: Can You Eat Sushi the Next Day?
Reasons You Can Have Sushi With Braces
There are several reasons why sushi can be a good option for people with braces.
- Sushi is a soft food, which means it is easy to chew and bite. This is important because it can be difficult to eat with braces.
- Another reason why sushi can be a good option for people with braces is that it is not sticky. This means that the ingredients will not get stuck in your braces.
- Finally, sushi is a healthy food option. It is packed with nutrients and can be a good option for people who are looking for a healthy meal.
Sushi Varieties to Enjoy With Braces
The good news is that there are several types of sushi that can be eaten with braces, and we will list some of them below!
- Nigiri sushi: Nigiri sushi is a type of sushi that consists of a small ball of rice with a piece of fish or seafood on top. It is easy to eat because it can be picked up and eaten in one bite.
- Maki sushi: Maki sushi is a type of sushi that is rolled in seaweed and then sliced into small pieces. It can be a good option for people with braces because it can be cut into smaller pieces.
- Temaki sushi: Temaki sushi is a type of sushi that is rolled in seaweed and then formed into a cone shape.
- Chirashi sushi: Chirashi sushi is a type of sushi that is served in a bowl with vinegar rice and raw fish.
Sushi Varieties to Avoid With Braces
There are also certain types of sushi that should be avoided when wearing braces.
- Sashimi: Sashimi is a type of sushi that consists of thin slices of raw fish. It can be difficult to eat because it can get stuck in your braces.
- Futomaki: This sushi is big and thick and overstuffed with fillings. So it will be very difficult to eat this type of sushi.
- Dynamite roll: The ingredients used in this sushi is maybe a little difficult to chew and may stick to the braces.
LEARN MORE: Can You Eat Sushi With GERD?
How to Have Sushi With Braces?
Now that you know which types of sushi can be eaten with braces, let’s look at how to have sushi with braces.
- The first thing to do is to choose the right type of sushi. As we mentioned before, nigiri sushi and maki sushi are good options.
- Once you have chosen the right type of sushi, the next thing to do is to cut it into small pieces. This will make it easier to eat and less likely to get stuck in your braces.
- Finally, after you have eaten sushi, make sure to brush your teeth. This will help remove any food that may be stuck in your braces.
Things to Consider When Eating Sushi With Braces
Some things to keep in mind when having sushi with braces are:
- Be careful about what type of sushi you eat. As we mentioned before, some types of sushi are easier to eat with braces than others.
- Always choose sushi types that have no ingredients that are fried, crunchy, sticky, hard.
- Choose thin and simple sushi types such as hosomaki.
- Avoid overstuffed sushi.
However, it is still possible to enjoy your favorite sushi rolls even with braces! It just takes a little bit of extra care.
With these tips in mind, you can have a delicious and healthy meal without worrying about your braces!
LEARN MORE: Can You Eat Sushi on Paleo Diet?
People who have braces, like my friend, need not worry anymore.
Simply being aware of the types of sushi that are appropriate to eat with braces and eating them in small bite-sized portions will do just fine.
So, go ahead and enjoy your sushi without any worries! And don’t forget to brush your teeth afterward.