Fast food usually means food that is made in bulk, is cheap, and most importantly, is delivered fast. Fast food is also usually lower in nutritional value.
Is sushi fast food? Many people consider sushi to be a sort of quick food, however some claim that it is not. It was previously sold as finger food, which is why it is now termed fast food. It is a quick and easy lunch that can be eaten on the fly.
In this article, we will explore if sushi is fast food or not, and what the reasons are for that.
Sushi in the Fast Food Industry
Earlier, sushi was sold as finger food installs or carts. It was street food back then, sushi could be eaten on the go.
However, in recent years, the popularity of sushi has grown exponentially. It is now one of the world’s most popular dishes.
With this newfound popularity, many restaurants have adapted their menus to include sushi. And with that, sushi has become more of fast food.
Traditionally, sushi is sold in sushi bars at a high price, where each sushi is prepared by sushi chefs in front of the customers. In these sushi bars, sushi is not prepared and is served very fast.
The chefs make them with precision, taking enough time to make a beautiful sushi meal.
LEARN MORE: Is Sushi Dairy Free?
Reasons Why Sushi Is Considered Fast Food
Although sushi is often considered a “luxury” food, it can actually be considered fast food. the reasons why sushi is fast food are:
- There are many sushi restaurants that offer take-out and delivery services. In fact, Yo Sushi even calls itself a “fast-casual” restaurant.
- It is pre-made in bulk in most restaurants. This means that the sushi is already made and only needs to be warmed up or prepared before it is served.
- Sushi is also usually cheaper than other menu items, making it a more affordable option for those on a budget.
- In the US, it is consumed almost fully as fast food from carts or restaurants, at a cheap price and is usually eaten on the move.
- Some people say the Western versions of sushi are a little unhealthy because of the prevalent use of deep-fried foods, cream, mayo, sugar, etc.
- It was sold as finger food, street food that was suitable to eat fast with hands and also while on the move.
- It is sold more in restaurants and carts than being prepared at home.
- The main reason why sushi is considered fast food is that it can be made quickly and easily. All you need is some rice, seaweed, and fish, and you can have a delicious meal in no time.
LEARN MORE: What Is in a Yum Yum Sushi Roll?
Reasons Why Sushi Is Not Considered Fast Food
When you compare sushi to fast food items in the United States, you may offend Japanese sushi purists. The reasons why sushi is not fast food are:
- Sushi chefs and traditional sushi restaurants give importance to quality rather than quantity.
- Sushi making is believed to be an art form, and it cannot be made by a less experienced person.
- Even if they are sold in grocery stores, they are carefully made by sushi chefs at a facility.
- It is usually healthy, depending on the ingredients used. Traditional Japanese sushi uses healthy ingredients such as fish, vegetables, pickles, etc.
- Fast foods have a longer shelf life, but sushi needs to be consumed before the expiration date on the package. They even need to be refrigerated to preserve the raw fish.
- Most sushi fans do not like store-bought sushi. They prefer to have it made in front of their eyes by the chef. It is considered as an experience to them and not just-food.
LEARN MORE: What Does Salmon Sushi Taste Like?
Is Sushi Unhealthy Like Fast Food?
The sides usually served with sushi are also quite healthy, such as miso soup, seaweed salad, green tea, etc.
But the Western and global versions of sushi are not as healthy as the traditional ones. They usually consist of unhealthy foods such as fried foods, high calorie and fatty foods like cream, cheese, mayo.
Adaptation of sushi by the western world has made most types of sushi quite unhealthy.
LEARN MORE: What Goes Good With Sushi?
Verdict: Is Sushi Fast Food?
Due to the adaptation of sushi by the western world and their influence on the globe most sushis have started to use ingredients used by the western world.
The sushi prepared in the US is usually prepared in bulk like other fast foods and is sold in all types of restaurants and carts.
The sushi there is also sold in pre-made packages and is made by less experienced chefs, unlike the Japanese ones. The sushi from the US is usually more stuffed and is different from the traditional ones.
Traditional and Japanese sushi is more of an exotic delicacy than fast food. They do not match the characteristics of fast food.
This sushi is delicate, needs time to prepare, and has to be prepared by experienced sushi chefs. They are also healthy.
So, in my opinion, the verdict is that sushi is fast food on the basis of its spread throughout the world and adaptation by the modern world. Moreover, Western-type sushi is all fast food.
But, traditional Japanese sushi is not fast food but exotic food or Japanese delicacies that need to be prepared with great care and precision.
LEARN MORE: What Is Tekka Sushi?
Sushi is a type of food that has been around for centuries and has evolved over time. It was originally created as fast food that could be eaten on the go.
However, sushi has undergone many changes, particularly in the Western world. As a result, there are now many different types of sushi, some of which are healthy and some of which are not.
Traditional Japanese sushi is not fast food, but Western-style sushi is. So, it really depends on the type of sushi you are eating.
If you are eating traditional Japanese sushi, then it is not fast food. However, if you are eating Western-style sushi, then it is.