Flan is a sweet, super yummy cake cooked in a watery batter and then baked before dipping into caramel syrup. This type of dessert has been popular throughout history, but the detailed making process and taste are not known to everyone. And, If you are also wondering what does flan taste like? The answer is,
Flan tastes pretty much exactly how its name describes it – chocolate-filled milk. If you have ever had a delicious flan (which I’m sure you haven’t), then you know how amazing it can taste. And what makes it unique is that the egg whites become so stiff that they form a shell around the yolk, making it look almost like a little ball.
Moreover, we will discuss the taste and texture of flan along with these topics throughout the article:
- What is flan & how does it taste?
- What is the texture of flan?
- Does flan taste like creme brulee?
- How is a flan made?
What Is Flan & How Does It Taste Like?
A sweet dessert known as the “Flan” typically has a custard base and is made with milk, eggs, and sometimes cream.
Although flan can be made with a wide variety of flavors, its fundamental components are very similar to custard ones. These components include cream, sugar, vanilla, and egg yolks.
There is a sweetened and unsweetened version of flan, with the former being the more common option. Other desserts that are similar to flan are kariri, pavlova, crème brûlée, and American pudding.
Kariri is a traditional dessert in New Zealand. They are typically served warm rather than cold but can also be chilled if that is how the customer prefers them.
What Is the Texture of Flan?
The texture of a Flan is what makes it different from other desserts like cake. A flan has a light, fluffy texture and can easily be cut into any size piece that suits your needs. This is possible due to sugar being the main ingredient of a flan. Sugar helps to create this particular texture and consistency.
Does Flan Taste Like Creme Brulee?
Flan tastes just like crème brulée! To make it, you need cream (of any kind), sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, milk, and butter. You can use chocolate instead of vanilla if you want, but remember that it won’t taste as good and is not worth it.
Well, it’s clear now it tastes like creme brulee. But the dish’s taste differs on the ingredients and the maker’s process. So what are the main ingredients used to make flan? Here are the ingredients:
- Whole grain cereals
- Granulated sugar
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Evaporated milk
- Kosher salt
If you’re wondering where to find these ingredients, then you can find these ingredients at your local bakery store. Also, you can buy these ingredients online at amazon or Walmart to save the trouble of going to the grocery store.
LEARN MORE: What Does Geoduck Taste Like?
How Is a Flan Made?
Knowing what ingredients are used to make the flan wouldn’t make any difference until you know how to make the flan. Here is the step-by-step process to easily make you understand how to make a flan without making any mess:
- The first step was making a caramel sauce. I used 1 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar to make a simple syrup. Once that mixture sat overnight, I poured it into a pan and added butter until melted. Then, I continued to add brown sugar while stirring constantly. When done, I added vanilla extract and let sit overnight again. After that, I strained the syrup through cheesecloth, catching any additional bits left in the strainer.
- Next, I slowly added 2 cups of heavy cream to the mix and stirred it together. I used an immersion blender to blend the ingredients. At this point, I could tell whether the consistency was right. If the finished product had too much liquid, I would strain the mixture through cheesecloth once more.
- Once the mixture looked like the desired consistency, I transferred it into a mixing bowl. I then added 1 teaspoon of gelatin powder. This would help set the final texture of the flan. The mixture was now ready to be refrigerated for about 4 hours.
- After the cooling period, I began adding egg yolks, one at a time. As each egg yolk went in, I whisked the mixture to incorporate it evenly. Once all the eggs went in, I took the mixture back out and started to fold it into the rest of the mix. I did this vigorously for about 5 minutes.
- Once you incorporated everything, I poured the batter into my pans and placed them in my fridge. The baking process should take about 40-50 minutes.
- When the flans came out of the oven, they were beautiful. They were golden brown on top and moist inside. They tasted amazing!
That’s pretty much it you need to know. So, now you’re fully aware of what flan tastes like and how to make it correctly.
So you can have this yummy treat anytime you want. It will give you a general idea of their tastes, the procedure for making it, & what ingredients you need to make it. You can add the ingredients according to your taste and give your tongue a delicious flan taste.