Buttermilk is a staple food item that will never lack in the grocery store. However, since the buttermilk packaging looks similar to regular milk, you might have a hard time finding it. And you might wonder, where to find buttermilk in the grocery store?
You can find buttermilk in the grocery store’s dairy section, next to butter & other milk products. If you can’t find it there, you may want to explore the refrigerator section. Some stores store bottled buttermilk next to yogurts. Powdered buttermilk is also used for baking. Therefore, you might want to check out the baking aisle as well.
If you can’t find it in any of these sections, don’t worry. Read on to find out more about the best stores to find buttermilk, including online, along with some helpful tips for buying buttermilk.
What Is Buttermilk and How Much It Costs?
Buttermilk is a fermented dairy drink that’s high in protein. Therefore, it can either be drunk straight from the bottle or used to make a lot of different dishes.
Often, it is used in making pastries or marinating chicken, steak, & pork. This is because buttermilk it’s acidic, non-fat, & culture-rich than regular milk.
There are different brands of buttermilk available in the grocery store. However, it will most likely sell under names such as ‘churned buttermilk’ or ‘cultured milk.’ The price of buttermilk ranges from as cheap as $1.6 to as high as $2.35 for a gallon.
Best Buttermilk Brand Suggestions
Most grocery stores stock a few buttermilk brands. You want to make sure that you pick the best brand of buttermilk. This is something with a perfect consistency & the right level of tang for improved taste.
Some of the best buttermilk brands include:
- Hoosier Hill Farm: This brand of buttermilk is usually dry. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about it going bad. Remember, buttermilk can only be kept for two weeks in the refrigerator.
- Garelick Farms: Garelick Farms is a perfect brand for anyone who is lactose intolerant or on a diet. It contains a tiny amount of milk (1.3%). The consistency might not be as great as full-fat buttermilk, but it gets the job done.
- Animal Farm: This brand of buttermilk comes in an opaque bottle with a red lid. It contains 100% fat. Therefore, it has a delightful consistency & flavor that’s perfect for cooking or baking.
LEARN MORE: Where to Find Ghee in the Grocery Store?
Grocery Stores Near Me to Buy Buttermilk
If you happen to love buttermilk, you can easily find it in a grocery store. With that said, here are a few places you can buy buttermilk:
- Walmart: Walmart stocks up on buttermilk. You’ll find it in the dairy/baking section. They also have an online website if there isn’t a store in your vicinity.
- Kroger: Kroger stocks up on buttermilk. It even has its own brand, the Kroger Cultured Whole Buttermilk. You can use the online store locator to find a Kroger store near you and the exact aisle to find it.
- Trader Joe’s: It sells its buttermilk brand. Unfortunately, you’ll have to walk into the store to get it physically. Alternatively, you can use a delivery service to deliver it to your address.
- Whole Foods Market: Whole Foods Market is the best grocery store to visit as they often stock up on organic & diet-friendly products. They’ll stock up on buttermilk as well.
- Meijer: This is one of the cheapest stores for grocery products. If you are on a tight budget, you can try Meijer’s own brand of buttermilk that goes for as cheap as $0.99. Use the online store locator to find the correct aisle too.
- Publix: Publix will most definitely stock up on buttermilk. You will find popular brands such as Organic Valley there.
- Safeway: If there is a Safeway store in your area, you can definitely find buttermilk there. You might want to check their website to confirm whether they have the brand you are looking for.
- Albertsons: Albertsons will stock up on buttermilk too. Find it in the dairy section. If not, you can opt for powdered buttermilk, located in the baking aisle.
Where to Buy Buttermilk Online?
Buying Buttermilk online is pretty simple. You just have to visit an online website that sells grocery items & makes purchases. Some of the best online marketplaces to find buttermilk include:
- Amazon: Amazon sells the best brands of buttermilk. Therefore, you can order whichever brand you want & have it delivered right to your doorstep.
- Target: Target stocks up on buttermilk as well. You can locate it in the dairy section.
- H-E-B: H-E-B definitely stocks up on buttermilk. Visit their website to see what brands they sell. They also have a physical walk-in store.
LEARN MORE: Where Is Honey in the Grocery Store?
Tips to Buy Buttermilk
As you buy buttermilk at the grocery store, make sure to keep a few things in mind:
- Buttermilk lasts up to 14 days after being opened. Therefore, you don’t want to go for a high amount unless you’ll use it in large quantities. Alternatively, you can store it in the freezer as it can last for up to 3 months. Make sure you use an air-tight bag.
- Make sure always to check the expiry date of any brand of buttermilk that you buy. Buttermilk tends to last for about 2 weeks. You want to make sure you have buttermilk that’s not far from its manufacturing date.
- The price of buttermilk will differ from store to store. It looks a little more like milk. Therefore, check the label & the price to make sure you grab buttermilk instead of regular milk. Buttermilk costs a little more than regular milk.
Although it can be a little difficult to find buttermilk in the grocery store, this article has highlighted what buttermilk is, where is buttermilk in the grocery store, and how much it costs.
Additionally, we have pointed out a few stores where you are guaranteed to find buttermilk. We hope that the information outlined in this article was helpful.