Due to constant heating, your original stove knob will fade with time or even break. When that happens, you need a replacement stove knob that fits. Finding the right knob can be tricky because of the many options and sizes. To get a suitable replacement, you must examine your old stove knob before purchasing. But are stove knobs universal?
No, they’re not all universal. However, universal knobs are designed to fit most stove brands. They come with adapters of different sizes, and one of them can fit your stove. For instance, the GE Brand uses a universal knob. To be safe, measure the diameter of your stove knob and the shaft.
Some stove brands make replacement knobs specifically for their products. If that’s your stove, you’ll have to buy the knob made for your stove, not a universal knob. This article is your buying guide for stove knobs so you don’t get the wrong size.
Are Stove Knobs Universal?
Stove knobs are not universal. However, they are adaptable replacement knobs that can fit any stove model with the help of the right insert. The insert is put at the back of the stove and mates with the knob to work correctly.
Stove knobs are specific to the brand, with replacements as adapters only. You should use your stove model number to order your knob replacement. If not, you might end up getting the wrong fit. The model number is usually on or under the storage drawer. Getting a universal knob and an insert to fit it is cheaper than getting a new stove.
Replacement Stove Knobs Types
There are different types and brands of replacement stove knobs, but they all share one thing; their features are made to be as universal as possible. They tend to fit into almost any stove type with the help of the right insert. The general characteristic of replacement stove knob types includes the following:
- An eight-point adjustment rotation ability.
- Three industry shaft sizes of 3/16 inches, 6mm, and 1/4 inches.
- A flush insertion of 10mm or 1 inch.
- Gas and electrical compatibility.
- Ignition collar for gas.
- High temperature-resistant quality.
These qualities are what make for replacement knobs. The types are as diverse as the stove brands. For any stove brand, there is a replacement knob that can fit into it.
How Do I Know What Knob Fits My Stove?
Before you order a replacement knob, you have to ensure that the knob will fit your stove. You can find out by measuring the knob and placing an order with the correct specifications. It is pretty straightforward and takes only a few minutes. First, you must remove the existing knob and follow the steps below:
- Remove your old stove knob and check for the shaft adapter type. Shaft adapters come in different varieties, and determining the right one will go a long way in helping you find a suitable replacement. Often, replacement shaft adapters have an all-one-size fit.
- Measure the diameter of the shaft adapter. You can do the measurement in inches or millimeters but remember to order in the same unit.
- Measure the diameter of the knob. Knowing the size of the knob will help you make the right choice while ordering.
- Choose the right color or your color choice. Getting the wrong color will leave you with mismatched stove knobs.
If you follow this guide, you have an almost hundred percent reliability of getting the right knob fit for your stove. Ensure that you do not use the wrong measurement or order with the wrong unit of measure.
How To Replace Your Stove Knob – Step By Step Guide
Replacing your stove knob does not require any expertise. You can do it yourself in a short time too. To replace the knob, you will need a kitchen sponge, stove knobs, a window cleaner, pliers, and penetrating lubricant.
Follow these steps to replace your knob:
- Please turn off the stove and allow it to cool before you proceed with the removal. Pull off the knob from the stove with pliers or your hands. If the knob has a seal under it, do not remove it, and if there is rust or grease resistance, use the lubricant to loosen it up.
- Wipe the shaft and the control surface with a clean sponge to avoid debris from obstructing the fitting process. Check the replacement knob to be sure that the shafts fit correctly.
- Align the replacement knob holes with the stove shaft and push the knob into the shaft to fit perfectly.
- Check if the new knob works by clicking the burner on and off.
It is crucial that you triple-check to make sure that the stove power source is not on. Whether gas or electrical, the gas should be off and the electrical power source off. Do not allow soapy water to enter the knob shaft while cleaning to avoid rust.
Universal Cooker Control Knobs Fitting Guide Instructions
That your worn out or damaged stove knob is no longer a reason for you to buy a new stove. Instead, you can get a replacement knob for it. So, if your question is, are stove knobs universal? This article has answered your question.
We have also given you a guide for replacement. Follow the guide and have a perfectly working new stove knob.