Cooking fish sticks in the microwave is a quick and easy way to get a healthy meal on the table. Fish sticks are low in fat and calories, and they are a good source of protein.
Sometimes people might want to cook fish sticks in the microwave because it is a faster way to cook them than using an oven.
The most common challenge people face when cooking fish sticks in the microwave is that they do not cook evenly. This can lead to some sticks being dry and overcooked, while others remain raw. To avoid this, be sure to follow some suggestions.
In this article, we will discuss tips on cooking fish sticks in the microwave, and we will also provide some benefits and drawbacks to keep in mind while microwaving fish sticks.
Method of Cooking Fish Sticks In The Microwave
You can microwave fish sticks whether you’re cooking or just reheating them. This will only take 3 minutes to prepare, regardless of how powerful your microwave is. On the other hand, microwaving may cause fish sticks to lose their texture and crispiness.
There are two methods for microwaving fish sticks. Both ways work as long as you don’t skip any steps.
In this process, you have to use a Microwave with a power rating of 1100-watts. You also have to keep an eye on the internal temperature of the fish stick as a general rule. If you cook them to a temperature of 165°F or greater before serving, you’ll obtain good results.
(1) 1/2 cup soy sauce
(2) 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
(3) 4 cloves garlic- minced or crushed
(4) 3 tablespoons sesame oil, and 5 pounds frozen breaded fish sticks.
- Prepare a microwavable plate by lining it with parchment paper and placing it in the microwave.
- Mix soy sauce, honey or sugar, garlic, and sesame oil together in a bowl. Put the fish in the microwave safe plate. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the top of the fish sticks.
- Arrange the fish sticks in a single layer, with plenty of room between them. Check to see whether the platter isn’t too full. Instead, for the best results, microwave 4-8 fish sticks per plate in groups.
- After the platter has been prepared, microwave it for 2 minutes on high.
- After flipping the fish sticks, heat for another minute.
- Remove the platter from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- Take the platter out of the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Make sure the internal temperature is 165°F before serving.
LEARN MORE: Can You Microwave Gorton’s Fish Fillets?
An Alternative Method Of Microwaving Fish Sticks
The second method here uses a microwave oven that is substantially less powerful, namely an 800-watt type. While the basic procedure is similar, there are a few changes and modifications that must be made to account for the various appliance power ratings. Some changes from the previous method that you should follow:
- Check the wattage of your microwave before you begin.
- Making batches of four to eight sticks is preferable.
- In the microwave, heat for 1 minute on the maximum power setting.
- Remove the fish sticks from the oven, flip them, and heat for another minute.
- After rotating the fish fingers one more time, microwave for another minute. At this point, they should be well cooked.
LEARN MORE: Can You Cook Ground Beef In The Microwave?
Benefits And Drawbacks Of Microwaving Fish Sticks
Ever since microwaves first came on the market, they have been touted as a quick and easy way to cook food. The microwave oven has been around for over 60 years now and it is safe to say that most of us are familiar with them. Cooking fish sticks in the microwave is an easy way to get dinner ready quickly. And there are a few benefits of cooking fish sticks in the microwave as well!
- Cooking with the microwave oven is much faster than other traditional cooking methods such as baking, frying, and so on.
- Food prepared in the microwave oven is typically more nutritious. This is due to the fact that, unlike traditional cooking methods, it does not require the use of cooking oil.
- Cleaning up after cooking with the microwave oven is really quick and simple. Try to wipe up any food splatters with a moist cloth, and you’re done.
While microwaving fish sticks does have a few benefits, there are also some drawbacks that should be considered before making your decision.
- When microwaving fish sticks, keep in mind that you won’t receive the same crispy breading that you would get when frying or baking them.
- If we’re being really honest, microwaved fish sticks will not look anywhere as good as their baked and fried counterparts. This is because of the loss of texture and gloss that occurs when breading is exposed to heat directly.
- Cooking with a microwave has a large margin of error, just like cooking with any other appliance. If you leave it too long or choose the wrong setting, you can end up with something unappealing.
LEARN MORE: Can You Cook Italian Sausage In The Microwave?
Tips To Consider When Cooking Fish Sticks In The Microwave
Cooking fish sticks in the microwave is a quick and easy way to prepare these frozen treats. However, if you want them to turn out right, there are some things that you should do before you get started.
First of all, it’s important not to overcook your fish sticks while they’re in the oven because they’ll dry out quickly. This is especially true as microwaving can make them overcooked. Burnt fish sticks will be rubbery on the outside but still raw on the inside.
Secondly, don’t overcrowd your tray with too many pieces at once, or else they won’t heat up evenly and may even burn spots where another piece was touching for too long.
And finally, try not to stack your fish sticks on top of each other because they’ll get soggy if they’re touching too much and won’t crisp up properly.
Other Ways Of Cooking Fish Sticks Without A Microwave
One can cook fish sticks without using a microwave by boiling, baking, or frying them.
- Boiling: Boiling is the simplest way to cook fish sticks without a microwave. Place them in a pot of boiling water and let them simmer for about six minutes or until they are cooked through.
- In the oven: Preheat the conventional oven at 475°F. Place the frozen fish sticks on a baking sheet that has been lightly greased and bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until crisp. For best results, turn it halfway during the baking time.
- In the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 10 to 11 minutes with a single layer of frozen fish sticks.
- Deep frying: Eat the oil to 350°F for deep frying. Fry the frozen fish sticks in a hot skillet for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
It’s crucial to note, however, that cooking times and temperatures may vary slightly. But it is a good idea to follow the instructions on the pack of fish sticks for best results.
You can microwave fish sticks in minutes, and they will be cooked through. However, there are some things you should keep in mind when microwaving fish sticks.
Once you have cooked your fish sticks, you should eat them immediately because they will lose their crispness if left at room temperature for too long or if refrigerated overnight before eating again later. You can also serve these with tartar sauce.