Who doesn’t love pizza rolls? After all, they’re crunchy, cheesy, and loaded with our favorite pizza ingredients. However, making them nice and crisp in a deep fryer isn’t as much of a challenge as it is in making them using a microwave.
The good news is, this article will walk you through a 3-step guide about how to make pizza rolls crispy in the microwave!
Rest assured, as we’ve developed this microwave pizza rolls guide after several failed attempts so that you can get some crisp pizza rolls in your first attempt.
The rest of this article will cover all of the ins and outs of making crispy microwave pizza rolls:
- How long do I have to microwave pizza rolls?
- How to microwave pizza rolls without exploding?
- How to microwave pizza rolls so they come out crispy?
- Why do you put a cup of water in the microwave with pizza rolls?
Now let’s get started!
How to Make Pizza Rolls Crispy in the Microwave (3 Step-guide)
Our 3-step guide is all it takes to bring crispy pizza rolls. These calculations are obtained using a 1000W microwave for a single serving (6 pizza rolls) at high power. You can adjust the timing and power of your microwave accordingly.
- Use Paper Towels: The first step is to place a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Make sure to place the pizza rolls in a single layer over the paper towel.
- Brush Pizza Rolls with Oil: The second step is to brush each pizza roll with any vegetable oil lightly. We don’t recommend using olive oil as it has an intense flavor that can overpower the flavor of pizza rolls.
- Microwave: The last and the most crucial step is microwaving the pizza rolls. As a rule of thumb, it takes around 1 minute to microwave 6 pizza rolls at high power. This step needs to be done with great care as the cheesy filling of pizza rolls will be extremely hot.
Pro tip: Make sure to turn the sides of pizza rolls halfway through microwaving. This will ensure your pizza rolls are evenly crisp from both sides.
How Long Do I Have to Microwave Pizza Rolls? (Fast and Smart Trick)
Three factors determine the cooking time of microwave pizza rolls:
- Voltage: The more the voltage of your microwave, the lesser time it takes to cook the pizza rolls. For instance, it would take around 2.30 minutes to microwave pizza rolls in a 700W microwave. Similarly, you can make crispy pizza rolls in around a minute when using a 1000W microwave.
- Power: It hardly takes a minute to microwave 6 pizza rolls at High power. However, if you set your microwave at low power, it’ll take 1.5 to 2 minutes to cook the same serving size.
- Serving Size: The serving size plays an essential role in the microwaving time for pizza rolls. For a single serving containing 6 rolls, one minute in the microwave is more than enough. Similarly, 2.0 and 4.5 minutes of microwave time are ideal for 2 and 4 servings of pizza rolls, respectively.
Having said that, every microwave can slightly vary from another one. So, it’s completely fine to play around a little with your microwave and discover the perfect cook time for pizza rolls.
How to Microwave Pizza Rolls Without Exploding? (Mess-free Method)
Pizza rolls tend to explode while microwaving due to the steam building up inside the pockets as they are heated. To prevent your pizza rolls from exploding, you can do one of these two things:
- Poke holes into the pizza rolls with the help of a needle to make enough room for the steam to escape while keeping the cheesy filling inside the pizza roll.
- Cover the pizza rolls with a paper towel before microwaving. A more recommended approach is to sandwich the rolls between two layers of paper towels. This will keep the spatter of the pizza roll filling inside the towel. Moreover, it will help to heat all the pizza rolls evenly.
How to Microwave Pizza Rolls So They Come Out Crispy? (No Soggy Rolls, Please!)
- To make your pizza rolls crunchy, try brushing them with oil before microwaving. To bring out more flavor, you can include a pinch of garlic powder into a tablespoon of oil for brushing over the rolls.
- Another great tip is always using paper towels beneath and above the rolls while microwaving to prevent soggy pizza rolls. This will ensure any liquids emitted from the rolls are absorbed into the towel, making the rolls come out nice and crisp.
Why Do You Put a Cup of Water in the Microwave With Pizza Rolls? (For More Crunch)
Some people tend to put a cup of water in the microwave among the food. The reason is simple!
Putting a cup of water in the microwave prevents overcooking and drying out of your pizza rolls. The water helps to absorb most of the microwave radiation, resulting in the pizza rolls being evenly heated.
On the contrary, if you don’t use a cup of water, chances are your pizza rolls will heat up quickly.
The water molecules of the pizza will evaporate, and since there is no way steam can escape the microwave, the water molecules will most likely penetrate the base of the pizza rolls. And it’ll generate another story of soggy pizza rolls.
However, you can skip this step if you’re following the method mentioned above of using paper towels while microwaving, as it mimics the same effect.
LEARN MORE: How Long To Cook Pizza Rolls In The Microwave?
As you’ve learned how to make pizza rolls crispy in the microwave, it’ll save up your time otherwise spent standing over the stove and deep-frying. Not to mention, there will be no greasy pots and pans to be cleaned afterward.
However, microwave 6 rolls on high power for 1 minute, and flip their slides halfway through.
Our tried and tested tips of sandwiching the pizza rolls in paper towels help prevent sogginess, while the slight oil brushing over the surface of rolls brings out the perfect golden and crisp pizza rolls.