Microwaves have come a long way since they were first introduced to the world. They are now considered one of the most versatile pieces of kitchen equipment that you can own. Not only are microwaves fast and convenient, but they also allow you to cook a wide variety of dishes.
So what dishes can you cook in a microwave? As long as you have a microwave-safe dish and a few basic ingredients on hand, you can create an impressive breakfast, lunch, or dinner for your loved ones in just minutes. You can try some unique recipes including, Macaroni and cheese, Quesadillas, Potato chips, Popcorns and Caramel pudding.
Some people find they can cook everything from a small chicken fillet to a leg of lamb in the microwave oven. But radical recipes suggest cooking fruit and vegetables in the microwave because under these circumstances their flavors are intensified by cooking.
In this blog post, we will go over what to cook in a microwave, how to cook in a microwave, and some hacks for cooking in the microwave. We will also provide recipes for nine different dishes that you can make in your microwave.
Hacks To Cook Perfect Dishes In The Microwave
Cooking healthy and tasty microwave dinners isn’t as easy as it appears, and getting the greatest outcomes from your food requires sticking to a few guidelines. The most important aspects of microwave cooking are maintaining moisture and providing an even cooking time.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Sauerkraut In The Microwave
Sort The Dishes According To How Long They Take To Cook
Some dishes take significantly longer to cook than others. Larger and thicker items, in particular, will take longer to cook than thinner and smaller foods. Separate the food and cook it individually in the microwave oven to prevent large food from undercooking and little food from overcooking.
Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and sweet potatoes, require the most time to cook, followed by meat, and finally smaller veggies.
LEARN MORE: Is It Bad To Eat Microwaved Food Every Day?
To Reduce Cooking Time, Cut Up Large Foods
By chopping food into smaller bits, you can reduce the amount of time it takes to cook in the microwave. If you cut large slabs of meat into strips or smaller bits first, they will cook faster.
Potatoes, other large vegetables, and huge chunks of meat are examples of foods that should be chopped before cooking.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Scrapple In The Microwave
Foods With Skin Should Be Pierced
Skinned foods can trap the steam, and if there’s nowhere for it to escape, the meal may pop open or splatter. To avoid this, pierce a few holes in meals with skins using a fork or sharp knife, such as:
- Sweet potatoes
Place The Food In A Microwave-Safe Dish And Arrange It Carefully
To cook, use a microwave-safe dish or plate. Spread the food out in a single layer in the dish, with the thickest section facing away from the center. Food on the outer borders will cook faster than food closer to the middle, ensuring an even cooking time.
Microwave-safe plates will be marked as such, but glass and ceramic are normally microwave-safe even if they aren’t. Metal containers and utensils should not be microwaved.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Bacon In The Microwave
Before You Start Cooking, Cover Your Meal
Put the cover on microwave plates with lids, but leave a crack open to allow steam to escape. Cover the dish with a moist towel or paper towel if necessary. Covering food in the microwave is necessary for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- Assists in ensuring even cooking
- Keeps the food from drying out by keeping it moist
- Ensures that the food does not splatter
LEARN MORE: How to Store Food the Right Way
Cook Food In Small Batches And Stir Frequently
Shut the microwave door off. You may need to select Cook Time, then set the timer, and then press ‘Start’ to set the microwave.
Cook tiny vegetables one minute at a time, larger vegetables two minutes at a time, and meat three minutes at a time. To disperse the heat, stir between each cooking session.
Allow The Food To Rest Before Serving
Close the microwave door after your meal is done cooking and leave it there to cool. This will provide enough time for the meal to finish cooking. Give 5 to 10 minutes for vegetables and casseroles to rest, and 10 to 15 minutes for meat.
Different Recipes To Cook In The Microwave
Microwave cooking is not just for frozen dinners and popcorn anymore, rather it is a versatile way to cook food. There are many different recipes that can be cooked in a microwave, including main dishes, side dishes, and desserts. Here are 9 different recipes to get you started.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Kielbasa In The Microwave
1. Microwave Caramel Custard
Caramel custard is a soothing, sophisticated, and delicious French dessert. Caramel custard is a popular dessert all around the world, and it’s known by a variety of names, including creme caramel, milk Leche, and custard flan. You may serve this dessert at dinner parties because both kids and adults will enjoy it.
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
In a microwave safe dish, combine 1/4 cup sugar and water, and cook for 2 minutes on high, uncovered. Stir thoroughly, then simmer for another 3-4 minutes, uncovered, or until the mixture is a dark brown color. Set aside for now.
2. Combine the eggs, cornflour, vanilla, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the milk in a steady stream, pounding constantly.
3. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 10-12 minutes, covered, at 30% for 10-12 minutes, flipping the pan halfway through.
4. Allow cooling before unmolding and serving. After a couple of tries, you may need to alter the timing.
LEARN MORE: Can You Microwave Milk for Hot Chocolate?
2. Microwave Chocolate Cake
In just 5 minutes, you can make an oozing chocolate cake in the microwave. Very simple, quick, and oh-so-delicious!
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar or castor sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 cup margarine, butter, or oil
- 2/3 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1.5 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Line the tins’ bases with butter paper or grease them and dust with AP flour or sugar until completely coated.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and powder in a mixing basin.
- Combine the salt, sugar, fat, water, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or a beater, thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl until smooth, then add them to the cake batter one at a time. When done, the batter should be virtually shiny.
- Pour the batter into the prepared plates.
- Bake one cake at a time for 2 minutes. Bake for another 2 minutes after rotating the container halfway.
- Rotate once more and bake for 1 minute. Allow 5 minutes for the cake to cool before turning it out of the tin.
LEARN MORE: How Long To Cook Pizza Rolls In The Microwave?
3. Chicken Quesadilla In The Microwave
Cooking chicken quesadillas in the microwave is a quick and easy way to make this classic Mexican dish. By following a few simple steps, you can have a delicious quesadilla ready in just 4 minutes. In addition, there are several ways to customize your quesadilla to fit your own taste preferences.
- 2 flour tortillas, medium
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken strips or shredded chicken
- 1/2 diced bell pepper
- Taco seasoning (1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- On a dish, microwave the tortillas until they are slightly crispy. As they cool, they will dry out a little.
- In a mixing dish, combine the chicken, peppers, and taco seasoning, then sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Cover one tortilla with the filling, then top with the cheese.
- Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute more, slice, and serve.
LEARN MORE: Is It Safe To Cook Pasta In The Microwave?
4. Microwave Macaroni And Cheese:
The best part of microwaving macaroni and cheese is that you can customize it to your own taste preferences by using different types of cheese, adding in different ingredients, or cooking it for a longer or shorter amount of time.
- 1/2 cup macaroni elbows
- 1/2 cup of water
- Milk (three tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 14 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional garnish: fresh chive
- In a microwave-safe cup, combine the macaroni, water, and salt.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir in the milk, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Microwave for 30 seconds more, mix, then top with a sprinkling of chives.
LEARN MORE: How Long to Cook Chicken Nuggets in Microwave
5. Microwave Popcorns
Microwave popcorns are one of the best choices because they require very little preparation and provide that extra buttery taste. Microwave popcorn is easy to make, quick to prepare, and tastes delicious!
- Microwave-safe large bowl
- Microwave-safe large platter
- kernels of popcorn
- salt and butter (optional)
- In a large mixing dish, pour 1/4 cup popcorn kernels. Pick up your plate and set it on top of the bowl.
- Cook for 2 minutes and 45 seconds in the microwave with the bowl and plate.
- You will most likely have a lot of remaining kernels if your plate does not establish a tight seal with the bowl. Simply try again with a plate that fits better.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Fish Sticks In Microwave
6. Two-Minute Microwavable Chocolate Chip
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp. white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 3 drops vanilla extract (optional)
- a pinch of salt (kosher)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour (little less than a quarter cup)
- 2 heaping teaspoons Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips plus a little extra for sprinkling
- To begin, melt the butter in the microwave. Butter should be melted rather than boiled.
- Combine the sugars, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl. To blend, stir everything together.
- Separate your egg and simply put the yolk in the cup. To blend, stir everything together.
- Stir in the flour once more. 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, measured scantly, slightly less than full
- Stir in the chocolate chunks one last time. Your mixture should now resemble cookie dough. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips over the cookie dough.
- Cook for 40-60 seconds in the microwave, checking for doneness after 40 seconds. Cook not more than one minute, as this will continue to cook as it cools, much like a conventional cookie.
LEARN MORE: How to Cook a Frozen Burrito in the Microwave
7. Microwave Egg Sandwich
It simply takes a few minutes to make this egg breakfast sandwich. You can pretty much prepare it with whatever ingredients you want, depending on what you have on hand or what you’re craving.
- 1 thin bagel seasoned with everything
- 1 whisked egg or 3/4 cup egg whites
- Spinach leaves, a little handful
- A single wedge of Herb and garlic cheese
- 2 tomato slices
- 2-4 avocado slices
- Black pepper with kosher salt
- Toast the bagel thinly in the toaster until golden. If you prefer English muffins or toast, that will also work.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, whisk together the eggs or egg whites, season with salt and pepper, and fold in the spinach. Cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds on high in the microwave.
- Spread a thin layer of cheese on the warm bagel.
- Add the egg and vegetables on top. More healthy ingredients like a slice or two of avocado, tomato, and even onion will fill you up.
LEARN MORE: Can You Use Olive Oil To Cook Chicken?
8. Microwave Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
In 3 minutes, you can have this ready to eat. This cake is surprisingly moist, has all of the flavors of a cinnamon roll, is easier to make, and clean up is a breeze!
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 tsp (scant) salt
- 1 Recipe Cream Cheese Icing
Icing Made With Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon softened cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of milk
- Make the Cream Cheese Icing according to the package directions and set it aside.
- n a mug, add all ingredients (except the Cream Cheese Icing) and stir together with a fork until smooth.
- Microwave the mixture for 1 minute on high power, then check for doneness.
- Microwave for another 15 seconds if it isn’t thoroughly cooked. Serve warm with a spoonful of Cream Cheese Icing on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the icing ingredients with a fork until smooth.
LEARN MORE: Can You Cook Garlic Bread in the Microwave?
9. Microwave Potato Chips
If you enjoy a nice potato chip, you must try this simple recipe. To create these crispy potato chips at home, you don’t need a deep fryer. For making these homemade chips, all you need is a potato and a microwave. They’re also considerably healthier because they’re not made in a fryer.
- A single potato
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- The potato should be washed and dried. Slice the potato into thin chips using a mandoline in the thinnest setting. Combine them in a basin with olive oil. To disperse the oil, toss them.
- To fit the microwave-safe plate, cut a piece of parchment paper. Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on the parchment-lined plate. Coarse salt is generously sprinkled on top.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, or until crispy. The actual time will vary based on your microwave’s wattage. Serve with your favorite sauces.
LEARN MORE: How To Cook Canned Beans In The Microwave
When it comes to cooking, the microwave oven is a great option for reheating food or preparing quick and easy meals. With just a few simple tips, you can be on your way to cooking delicious and healthy dishes in your microwave.
If you’re looking for some new ideas for what to cook in your microwave, check out our list of 9 dishes in this blog post. So what are you waiting for? Get started with these recipes!